KRYOLAN’S HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY
Our PhilosophyAt Kryolan, we make make-up. But not like anybody else. Because unlike everybody else, we actually make our make-up. As one of the first cosmetics brands in the world, we use our own formulas and recipes to manufacture our own products.
“We offer professional make-up to the industry so they can accomplish their tasks effectively and create incredible works of art”
We think of them. We create them. Formulate them and love them into existence. We’ve been doing this over 70 years. And we’re still doing it today.
There is only one real professional make-up maker. There is only one Kryolan.
The History of Kryolan
- 1945Kryolan Professional make-up is launched and introduced to Berlin’s theatres, as the country recovers from the Second World War.
- 1962Kryolan take over the competing make-up firm Brandel GmbH, synergising their product ranges and business methods.
- 1969Kryolan premier the first publication for make-up artistry, “lebendige Maske”. This publication has been issued regularly ever since.
- 1971-1981After 26 years of doing business in the old premises, the company moves into its new headquarters in the Papierstrasse. Kryolan begin to make contacts in the USA, and in 1976 the first Kryolan subsidiary is opened in California. Shortly after, the brand’s export share grows to 60%.
- 1981-1982The camouflage sector continues to develop well, as Dermacolor products are sold in nine countries including Australia. Kryolan hold their 1st international make-up seminar in Berlin, with 150 participants attending from 20 countries. This seminar is a huge success, and becomes a repeat event.
- 1983-1986Kryolan continues to grow, expanding further into Australia, New Zealand and Asia.
- 1992-1993Kryolan take over Charles H. Fox Ltd. in London. Charles Fox is responsible for sales of Kryolan products in the United Kingdom. Kryolan Poland is founded.
- 1995Kryolan celebrate 50 years of successful business, as their products sell successfully in five continents.
- 2004Kryolan hosts their first Make-up Artists’ Forum, discussing the professional concerns and job prospects of German-speaking make-up artists. As the 28th Olympic Games are held in Athens, Greece, Kryolan are invited to provide make-up for 4000 actors for a one-of-a-kind opening ceremony. Kryolan develop a unique make-up formula to counteract the extreme weather conditions.
- 2005Arnold Langer is awarded the ‘A Lifetime of Beauty’ prize for his professional achievements at the Beauty International Trade Fair in Düsseldorf, Germany. Kryolan celebrate 60 years of business, operating seven of their own sites in six countries.
- 2006Kryolan present the first multicultural symposium of professional design make-up at a technical university in Berlin, speaking to over 100 make-up artists.
- 2007Kryolan launch their newest product innovation, High Definition make-up – designed for high-resolution camera technology. Kryolan’s Make-up Artist Team becomes exclusively responsible for make-up at a large fashion show in Düsseldorf and the famous fashion show Prêt a Porter in Paris.
- 2008Kryolan conduct their third symposium of professional design make-up in Milan, Italy.
- 2009Kryolan Professional Make-up is the official Cosmetics Partner for the most important beauty pageant in the world – Miss Universe 2009. The Kryolan International Make-up Team is responsible for making-up the contestants, and for exclusively providing the make-up itself.
- 2011For the third time, Kryolan become the official Cosmetics Partner for Miss Universe – this time in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The new Kryolan corporate shop concept is also introduced in Hamburg, Berlin, San Francisco, Chicago, Istanbul, Ankara, Izmir, Chennai, Mumbai and Sofia. The brand holds their 4th Multicultural Symposium for Make-up in Istanbul, Turkey – presenting make-up trends and techniques to over 250 participants.
- 2012Kryolan has been selected as a major supplier of make-up products for the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2012 London Olympic Games. The brand launches its new positioning statement with a streamlined visualization starting from its packaging, webpage, brand film and more.
- 2014Kryolan started its 8th and 9th extension at its premises in Berlin. More space for R&D, production, shipping and administration is planned. A seminar room will be installed as well. Kryolan successfully held the 5th Global Face Art in Dubai with more than 200 participants from over 30 countries and experienced the trends and techniques of tomorrow. GFA is considered as a platform for exchange of professional knowledge among the industry. In Munich Kryolan opened its 3rd Kryolan City Store inviting professionals as well as end users to experience Make-up Is A Science.